Social media use continues to grow at a record pace, but the devil is in the details. The details are what exactly what we get from Hootsuite’s Global State Of Digital 2022 report. The study is truly global in that it looked at how over 230 territories around the world actually use a social media app every day. Here are just a few things they found.
First, some of the basic stats to get us going:
- 4.62 billion people are on social media
- The average time spent on a social media app every day is 2 hours and 27 minutes
- 93% of all internet users also use social media
- About 54% of those are male
- The average user looks at 7.5 social media apps per month
Now lets look at which app has the most users:
- Facebook – 2.9 billion users
- YouTube – 2.5 billion
- WhatsApp – 2 billion
- Instagram – 1.5 billion
- WeChat (Chinese instant messaging) – 1.3 billion
- TikTok – 1 billion
- Facebook Messenger – 988 million
- Douyin (the international version of TikTok) – 600 million
- QQ (Chinese instant messaging) – 574 million
- Sina Weibo (Chinese microblogging site) – 573 billion
As you can see, 5 out the top 10 most used social sites are Chinese-developed, which is a surprise to many.
Here’s where things diverge a little and are somewhat unexpected. The most used is not the most popular. That is:
- Whatsapp – 15.5%
- Instagram – 14.7%
- Facebook – 14.5%
- WeChat – 11.4%
- Douyin – 5.1%
- TikTok – 4.3%
- Twitter – 3.3%
- FB Messenger – 2.6%
- Telegram – 2.0%
- Line – 1.8%
The popularity of a site might not be what people use the most, as you can see, but users seem to love Whatsapp even more than Instagram or even TikTok.
Finally, according to the study, “Most social media users do spending time on multiple platforms. More than 84% of TikTok users are also on Facebook, and almost 88% of Twitter users are also on Instagram. This signals that people get something different—and valuable—out of each network.”
The bottom line is that you can now reach your audience on different platforms. You might not be good at Instagram, for instance, but most of them will be on another app that you might be good at.