Social Media Image Sizes For 2023
When it comes to marketing on social media, musicians tend to not think too much about basics, and are content to post whatever they can. While this kind of random posting is far better than nothing, using just a big of strategy can really help boost your audience and engagement. One of the most basic things is to get the social media image sizes right.
The problem is that these image sizes change all the time. Thankfully, Hoosuite determined what the required sizes for every social media service, but we’ll cover the four that are most used by musicians, artists and bands. Namely, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and TikTok.
Why are image sizes important? According to Hootsuite, it’s important because:
- It avoids pixelation and awkward image stretching. And avoiding that keeps your images looking professional.
- Your photos will be optimized for each social channel’s feed. This can help increase engagement.
- It ensures your audience sees the full photo. Incorrect sizing could cut off some of your brand’s messaging.
- It can future-proof your content. Being in-the-know with social media image sizes now could mean less work for your brand in the future, when network change up how images display again.
So let’s look at those sizes.
Instagram post (feed photos):
- Landscape: 1080 x 566 pixels
- Portrait: 1080 x 1350 pixels
- Square: 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Supported aspect ratios: Anywhere between 1.91:1 and 4:5
- Recommended image size: Width of 1080 pixels, height between 566 and 1350 pixels (depending on whether the image is landscape or portrait)
Instagram photo thumbnail:
- Display size: 161 x 161 pixels
- Recommended upload: 1080 pixels wide
Instagram Stories: 1080 x 1920 pixels
- 1080 x 1920 pixels
- This is an aspect ratio of 9:16.
- Cover photo: 1080 x 1920 pixels
- Keep in mind that Reels are cropped to a 1:1 image in your profile feed and a 4:5 image in the home feed.
Profile picture: 170 x 170 pixels (on most computers)
Cover photos: 851 x 315 pixels (recommended)
- Display size desktop: 820 x 312 pixels
- Display size smartphone: 640 x 360 pixels
- Minimum size: 400 x 150 pixels
- Ideal file size: Less than 100KB
Timeline photo and post:
- Facebook automatically resizes and formats your photos when they are uploaded for the timeline to be 500 pixels wide and to fit the 1.91:1 aspect ratio. But avoid pixelation or slow load times by remembering these sizes:
- Recommended size: 1200 x 630 pixels
- Minimum size: 600 x 315 pixels
Facebook Stories: 1080 x 1920 pixels (recommended)
YouTube profile photo: 800 x 800 pixels (recommended)
- Make sure the focus of your photo is centered for best results.
- Files should be JPEG, GIF, BMP or PNG. Animated GIFs won’t work.
- Photos will render at 98 x 98 pixels.
YouTube banner image: 2048 x 1152 pixels (at minimum)
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Minimum area for text and logos without being cut off: 1235 x 338 pixels
- Maximum file size: 6MB
YouTube video: 1280 x 720 pixels (at minimum)
YouTube thumbnail: 1280 x 720 pixels
TikTok profile photo: 20 x 20 pixels (minimum size to upload)
TikTok video: 1080 x 1920
To find out social media image sizes for other services, go to the Hootsuite blog here.